Yes. I watch EVERY SNAP of EVERY GAME in the preseason. I do it so you don’t have to. Anyone can scan the box score and look for the guy who would have scored double digit-fantasy points, but I go the extra mile. I go the extra inch. The result? Well, I did make the playoffs in 21 out of 22 leagues last year. I’m a big fan of the eyeball test. You can tell just by observing if a QB is comfortable in the pocket, you can see how a RB finishes his carry. So here’s what you didn’t see in Week 1 (and the HOF Game) of preseason:
- Kenny Golladay (DET-WR) didn’t just score two touchdowns, but his first TD reception was in the first quarter, where he was among NFL starters.
- Darren McFadden (DAL-RB) solidified his status as a smart handcuff option for fantasy football players who draft Ezekiel Elliot, getting positive yards on every carry.
- Rico Gathers (DAL-TE) has scored a TD in each of his first two preseason games.
- Cooper Kupp (LAR-WR) had two receptions in the first half against Dallas. Everyone’s in love with this guy– the same doofuses that loved Bishop Sankey going into his rookie year– and it’s worth noting that… OH WAIT!!!… Kupp broke a tackle, and he’s on his way to Canton. Seriously, don’t draft Kupp unless I tell you to, capisce?
- Spencer Ware (KC-RB) got a goal line carry for a touchdown, which I know I personally needed to see to feel a little better about my projection for him
- Rob Kelley (WASH-RB) started over Samaje Perine, who Yahoo predicts may start.
- Might have to drop Ty Montgomery (GB-RB) a few notches until I feel more confident he is the established starter over Jamaal Williams. Montgomery was a RB fill-in last year, he fumbled this week, and Williams looks pretty good.
- Joe Mixon’s (CINN-RB) stats didn’t portray the great game he played. Mixon’s ability to change direction while advancing to second level-defenders has to be seen to be appreciated. Unfortunately, there really is no way to forecast what his workload will be considering the incumbent RB’s in Cincinnati. I don’t like to draft rookies, but this guy might have something here.
- Leonard Fournette (JAX-RB) gained positive yardage on all carries except one. Positive yards, hits the line of scrimmage like a brahma bull, and finishes his carries. Yet another rookie I’m going to have to really analyze.
- How many “J.Williams” are there? Well there’s one more in Buffalo who cracked off a 17-yard run the displayed both power and speed. First name? Jonathan.
- Alfred Blue (HOU-RB) and D’Onta Foreman (HOUS-RB) looked so good, that Lamar Miller is going to lose some carries.
- Kelvin Benjamin alleviated concerns about his level of fitness, making 2 athletic catches including a 23-yard TD.
Guys who are now on my radar:
- Jamaal Williams (GB-RB)
- Joe Williams (SF-RB
- Jonathan Williams (BUFF-RB)
- Damore’ea Stringfellow (MIA-WR)
- Tommylee Lewis (NO-WR)
- Austin Carr (NE-WR)
- Stacy Coley (MINN-WR)
- Travis Benjamin (LAC-WR)
- Kenny Golladay (DET-WR)
- Rico Gathers (DAL-TE)
- Damiere Byrd (CAR-WR)
(I’m not telling you to draft these guys and as it stands now, the only way they will have their names on my Fantasy Football Draft Matrix is if I list them as fliers I’d take a chance on in the last two rounds. That’s all I’m saying’).